Facebook announced that they are starting testing a dedicated place for News in US. They are Introducing Facebook News where people have more control over daily stories. This update gives people a feature of exploring interest-based news directly within the app. It also highlights the most relevant national stories of the day. News articles will continue to appear in News Feed as they do today.
Journalism plays a critical role in almost every democracy. When news is deeply-reported and well-sourced it gives people information they can rely on. People want and benefit from personalized experiences on Facebook, but there is reporting that transcends individual experience. Facebook want to support both.
Facebook is now looking to build a place where people can find more news as they changed their approach to gather insights form journalists and publishers.
As Mark Zuckerberg said in a conversation with Mathias Döpfner, CEO of Europe’s largest publisher Axel Springer, we wanted to build this product in a consultative way, sharing our ideas and getting input from the industry. We talked to news organizations about what they’d like to see included in a news tab, how their stories should be presented and what analytics to provide.
Facebook talked to people and publishers and identified key features to make Facebook News valuable.
- Today’s Stories chosen by a team of journalists to catch you up on the news throughout the day
- Personalization based on the news you read, share and follow, so you can find new interests and topics and Facebook News is fresh and interesting every time you open it
- Topic sections to dive deeper into business, entertainment, health, science & tech, and sports
- Your Subscriptions, a section for people who have linked their paid news subscriptions to their Facebook account
- Controls to hide articles, topics and publishers you don’t want to see
The new update will feature a wide range of content across four categories of publishers: general, topical, diverse and local news. Facebook News was built to bring people closer to the stories that affect their lives.
Looking for your Comments……!!!. Comment here and share your experience with us.
Don’t forget to subscribe TechCybero and share this post with your colleagues.